Belo Horizonte is the capital of and largest city in the state of Minas Gerais, located in the south-eastern region of Brazil. Belo Horizonte is in the Brazilian main economic axis. The service sector dominates the economy of Belo Horizonte, comprising around 85% of the city's gross domestic product (GDP), with the industrial sector making up most of the remaining 15%. Brazil is in Eastern South America, bordering the Atlantic Ocean. The climate is mostly tropical, but temperate in the south. The official language is Brazilian Portuguese. This is different from European Portuguese in pronunciation and some vocabulary. Many people do speak English in business and federal government circles, but visitors cannot rely on a contact's ability to speak English and should check in advance whether an interpreter will be necessary. The main religion is Christianity. The economy of Brazil is a federal economy. Brazil is the ninth largest economy in the world and the second largest in the Americas, after the United States. Brazilians, as with other Latin Americans, generally converse at a much closer physical distance than many expatriates are accustomed to. Formal expatriate business dress is standard in large cities. Women are found at the highest levels of business and politics. The security risk for expatriates in Brazil is medium, but high in the deprived areas of major urban centres. Risks include opportunistic crime, such as purse-snatching, armed street robbery, drug-related violence, car theft and carjacking. There is a high level of risk of kidnapping for wealthy local residents. The currency of Brazil is the Brazilian Real (BRL). Banking is on a par with that of Western Europe and North America. Medical facilities vary. Expatriates can receive emergency medical treatment in Brazilian public hospitals but they tend to be crowded. Private hospitals require evidence of sufficient funds or insurance for admission. Cases of Zika virus have been reported. Malaria is present. Dengue fever is common. The population of Belo Horizonte is 5.2 Million (2018 est.), while the inflation rate (CPI) is 4.05% for Brazil as at November 2018. Xpatulator Hypothetical Tax for Brazil is based on the current personal income tax rates which are progressive up to 27.5%.
Cost Of Living
The cost of living for expatriates / professional migrants in In Belo Horizonte, the cost of each basket, based on local prices, compared to the international average, is categorized follows (Exact cost of living percentages only available in personalised reports): Belo Horizonte as at 1 January 2019 is low in comparison to other places in the world. 1) Alcohol (where available) & Tobacco: Very High 2) Clothing: Very High 3) Communication: Very High 4) Education: Low 5) Furniture & Appliances: Low 6) Groceries: Very Low 7) Healthcare: Low 8) Household Accommodation: Average 9) Miscellaneous: High 10) Personal Care: High 11) Recreation & Culture: Low 12) Restaurants Meals Out and Hotels: Low 13) Transport: Low Belo Horizonte is for example -18.2% cheaper than Houston TX for groceries, 15.6% more expensive for household costs than Kuala Lumpur, and 19.2% more expensive for transport costs than Dubai. The hardship premium for Belo Horizonte for an expat from Perth, is for example 20%, i.e. host location (Belo Horizonte) premium of 30% minus home (Perth) location premium of 10%. Belo Horizonte is ranked as a high degree of hardship location. Want to know more about cost of living, hardship (quality of living) or expat salary in Belo Horizonte? Register subscribe to your home location and Belo Horizonte and run your personalised reports.