International Assignment Management
International Assignment Management (IAM) Report Calculator: Download Demo IAM Report
What is an international assignment?
An international assignment is when an organization or company sends an employee from their home country to a different host country for work purposes overseas. An employee on an international assignment is also referred to as an expatriate or expat.
What is International Assignment Management?
International assignment management is the process of managing an international assignment. This is typically the responsbility of the organization or company, Human Resources Department, and includes the calculation of the appropriate salary and benefits. The most common approach is the build-up / balance sheet / home based approach. This typically includes aspects such as home and host, tax, cost of living, hardship / quality of life differences, exchange rate, expatriation premium, housing, and transport, taking into account the level / grade of the employee and their family status.
International Assignment Management (IAM) Report Calculator?
The International Assignment Management report sets out clear guidelines to make an international assignee/expatriate transfer fair and financially viable, taking cognisance of the reward structure and market dynamics of the home and host country. The calculations use the build-up / balance sheet / home based approach and include hypothetical tax, cost of living index, hardship premium, exchange rate, expatriation premium, benchmark housing allowance and benchmark transport allowance. The objective is to ensure consistent equitable treatment and benefits for all expatriate assignees and have a user friendly reward structure to provide seamless coverage for different family scenarios. This is recommended for the calculation of the compensation and benefits for a typical expatriate assignment of 6 months up to 5 years duration using your choice of home and host location.
How do I run an International Assignment Management (IAM) Report?
- 1) Login using your username and password.
- 2) Check that you have subscribed to 2 or more locations.
- 3) Select Report Calculators from the menu.
- 4) Choose the International Assignment Management Report Calculator.
- The calculator will prompt you for the following inputs:
- 5) Reference Information: Give your report a reference and the name of the individual for whom you are running the report. This will help you identify your reports for future reference.
- 6) Home Locations: Include your Current Home Company here, select the location that is your home location and your home currency.
- 7) Host Locations: Include your Future Host Company here, select the host location, the host currency, your job level and family size.
- 8) Enter the Home Base Salary - this is the Basic Salary plus the cash value of all allowances and benefits. The Base Salary excludes all variable payments and payments related to performance.
- 9) Enter the Hypothetical Tax - this is the typical/average (Hypothetical) Tax to be deducted from Home Base Salary, if applicable, in terms of home location prevailing tax rates.
- 10) Automatically entered for you the Home Net Salary - this is Base Salary less Hypothetical Tax. Automatically entered for you the Host Essential Spending - this is the percentage of Home Net Salary to be used for spending in the Host Location. The international benchmark is 40%, however this can be increased or decreased.
- 11) Automatically entered for you 40% Essential Spending - this is the amount of Home Net Salary to be used in the Host Location. The international benchmark is 40%, however this can be increased or decreased.
- 12) Automatically entered for you 60% Home Net Balance - this is the balance of Home Net Salary to be kept in the Home Location.
- 13) Automatically entered for you Expatriation Premium - this is the percentage of Home Net Salary to encourage international mobility. The international benchmark is 15%, however this can be increased or decreased.
- 14) Select which cost of living index basket/s you require.
- 15) Run Report: When you are sure that all your selection criteria is correct, click on run report. Reports can be re-run for the period that you have purchased your subscription for.
- 16) Your report will be created immediately and will look like this Demo IAM Report
To get started:
Register, then login using your email address and password, and subscribe to your locations online. Please note that credit card verification time is usually a few minutes, but can take a few hours. Once your locations have loaded you can run the premium content calculators and receive your reports online within minutes.
If you have not registered yet: Register Now.